User activity monitoring
Datto RMM Integration
Important: Security Level for SaaS Alerts
Originally, SaaS Alerts utilized a least access permission configuration that ensured we had read only access to only the parts of Datto RMM we required for Unify functionality.
With Datto’s release of the activity monitoring end point (and our ability to monitor user-activity within Datto RMM - THANK YOU Datto team!), the permissions we recommended prior will not work; the SaaS Alerts API user must now be an “Administrator”.
We have requested that Datto RMM provide us a granular, read-only, permission setting for activity log monitoring, and we expect that they will provide that eventually.
If you are reading this KB article, because our integration recommended that you adjust your permissions, you will want to remove the original “SaaS Alerts” Security level from the SaaS Alerts user, and replace it with Administrator, and repair the connection.
It will look like this if configured correctly:
- Enable API Access in Datto RMM is on.
- Create User for SaaS Alerts API Access and get API Key.
Enable API Access
If it isn’t enabled already, you must turn on API Access.
- Navigate to Setup\Global Settings.
- Make sure the Enable API Access toggle is on.
Create User for SaaS Alerts API Access
- Navigate to Setup\Users and click Create user.
- Fill in the required fields for the new user.
Username: SaaSAlerts_API (We suggest creating a Username based on your MSP initials examples: "SA-API-MSP4", "SaaSA_ITMSP2_API"
Component Level: Super (5)
Security Levels: AdministratorDefault security level: Administrator
- Click Create user. (Note: you can ignore the email that was sent to you.)
- Once the user is created, click on the newly created user.
- Scroll down and click on Generate API Keys.
- Copy the API URL, API key and API Secret Key and store somewhere safe.
Setup MSFT Entra ID for enhanced Unify functionality.
Configure Unify functionality in SaaS Alerts.
Connecting SaaS Alerts to Datto RMM.
- Find your MSP’s Organization in SaaS Alerts, or create a new Organization for your MSP. You can do that on the SaaS Alerts Organization page.
- Click on Datto RMM in the list of products.
Note: you may receive an alert indicating that an existing Datto RMM integration already exists. Unless you have multiple instances of Datto RMM, you should cancel, or you will have duplicates.
- Populate the connection wizard with the Datto RMM API info you collected earlier. Here is an example:
- Click Next.
- You are now ready to configure Unify organization mapping.